Saturday, August 25, 2012
Blessed are the uncool.
Wowzers. Senior year--those words still give me the chills. This week has been INTENSE. I mean if this is any indicator about how my senior year is going to go, then it's gonna be busy...and yet really good.
When I first got back to town it was 24/7 RUF stuff. Between training, Otter Pops, Aggie Fest, and just running errands, I had a full schedule. I realized this year just how much I want to contribute. I want to really do it all. Live out the best senior year possible. I have made a lot of commitments to organizations and such, which initially I was like wow bad idea, but I have seen how beautifully they overlap. Wednesday was the Freshman Honors College Picnic and I had to work, which I wasn't too thrilled about until I realized that I got to meet 50+ freshman who all just wanted a friend. This was PRIME opportunity to make myself known and gain their friendship. I went straight from there to Aggie Fest for RUF where most of those freshman that I had just met were walking around. So I ended up being able to rope them in and tell them about RUF. So that was really neat. I have a heart for freshman, especially since I know the value of older students taking younger students under their wings and showing them how college can be fun. Plus I remember how cool it was having older students wanting to be my friend as a freshman--and I would love to do that for other students. Make them feel special and like somebody cares. That's really what I want to do. Blessed are the uncool and I have to remember that everyone in this campus is made in the image of God and they are worth it.
Also I am now the campus ambassador for a company called People Water and as such I have had to do a lot of paperwork in order to later spread the word and do tabling. That has also been an adventure but totally worth the challenge. It's a worthy cause and I have somewhat selfish reasons for doing it but I'm excited. I am also working again for the Honors College so that it normal and will keep me a little occupied during the week. My course schedule is going to be super funky this year considering most my classes are only once a week. I have big gaps and stuff which will make for really tempting nap time--but if I fill it with work and other stuff then I will be at least productive.
The best part about this year also is being back with my buddies. So far we have already all hung out several times and have been able to do dinners together and stuff. I truly have the best friends ever and it makes me so happy to be around all of them. It's just a different vibe from the ABQ. When I am here, I don't feel like a loser, I don't feel like I have to try to be cool. I know that my friends here are abundant in free grace and that's why we all get along so well. We get each other and our friendships are based solely on the fact that we all have the same savior and have the same goals for our lives.
Another bonus is I now have my own room. I seriously have so much space I don't know what to do with myself. I have a bed, a couch, a desk, and three shelves in there. And I still have tons of space! It'll be really nice for when friends come to visit. We all won't be on top of each other like we were in the dorms. Either way, it's nice to be back and I'm slowly adjusting.
This is my senior year. I'm not screwing around this year. Each day has a purpose and I'm gonna use my time here to make the most of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.